Game Idea Research

 

My Project will be a 3D Platformer, my plan is to create it as a mix of mirrors edge and the 3D mario games. I'm not a big gamer and haven't played any mirrors edge and very little mario, so this will essentially be my interpretation of how things games would be combined together, based on my knowledge from screenshots and little bits of gameplay i've seen online.


Game Mechanics

Jumping (from platform to platform)


I found this video very helpful in planning for my project

Jumping is definitely going to be the core game mechanic of my game as the whole point of a platformer is to jump from platform to platform. I will need to learn about how to implement gravity, player collision and player velocity. This video seems like it will be a great tutorial as to how to implement my ideas.

Risk and Reward

I would like to make multiple pathways so that players can have an element of risk vs. reward in the game, i plan on making some platforms easier to get to but having no kinds of power ups or having more easier jumps but in turn making them a longer path, while then making optional routes which are harder jumps meaning the player is more likely to activate the games losing condition but these paths would contain a speed or jump boost, or be a slightly faster route.


i found this writing interesting as a good examination of risk and reward in the video game industry.


Win/Lose Condition

To win the game a player must fully complete a level without triggering the losing condition, the level is completed when the player reaches or passes a goal.
The game is lost if the player falls off a platform, if the player falls they will have to restart the level or possibly start from a checkpoint.
if i can implement a checkpoint system i will change the win condition to allow players to still win after having to begin again, this will mean i will have to add in a life counter system.

Spangler, Brad. "Win-Win, Win-Lose, and Lose-Lose Situations." Beyond Intractability. Eds. Guy Burgess and Heidi Burgess. Conflict Information Consortium, University of Colorado, Boulder. Posted: June 2003 

This is an old article but i found it interesting the way win-win, win-lose and lose-lose conditions are explained.

I also found this reddit post insightful 

I plan on making my game a zero-sum game with a clear win or lose condition by its conclusion



Comments

  1. Hi Connor, just after finishing reading your blog post and I think your idea very good with a lot of potential. I really liked your idea to make the game either harder or easier, which really depends on the type of player that would be playing. I think its great that your thinking about having incentives for people to go for the harder paths, using fun power ups. This should work well in the finished game.

    I understand the overall game idea. It seems to sound similar to a temple run of some kind. Is there any story behind the game? I think a small story could bring the game to another level. Within your blog post, you never mentioned anything about why the player is running to begin with, so maybe that would be something to work on.

    What if the player is running away from someone. Maybe the player is a robber and is running away from guards. This would allow you to maybe implement a feature where you could get caught, if you were too slow.

    Overall, really good idea. I am excited to see the finished game!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment