First Playable

 I'm beginning this week by realising 1 big flaw in my game, i have no button spam protection, meaning players can currently cause their character to fly over the level, without having to jump on the platforms.

i used this unity tutorial to fix this issue:

https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/lesson-3-1-jump-force?uv=2018.4&courseId=5cf96c41edbc2a2ca6e8810f&projectId=5cf9639bedbc2a2b1fe1e848&architecture=true#5ce35aa5edbc2a29e31b3c79

Next i found a script to reset the player position if they fall off the platforms

https://answers.unity.com/questions/971938/respawn-from-falling-off-world.html

I watched this video about checkpoints as i would like to implement this type of system.


After watching this video i changed my games system to incorporate re-spawn points, i have decided that my game will have 3 re-spawn points and i hope make it slightly more difficult after each one.

For the second section i am using thinner platforms to make jumps more difficult to land on. I have also just learned how to edit the sizes of the platforms easily so i am making different patterns and split paths for the game.

screenshot from my game


I added a speed boost to my game using this youtube tutorial


I am also working on a jump boost, using this tutorial as a baseline, but for some reason my player jumps incredibly high and remains moving, i have yet to figure out the issue.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Rigidbody-mass.html

I managed to fix the code as well as change some of the numbers for my players mass to allow for a jump boost using this site.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14643208/changing-rigidbody-mass-value-in-unity-3-d

For my first playable version i have created:

a speed boost

a jump boost

a respawn platform for the beginning 

a checkpoint respawn platform 

screenshot from my game


Comments

  1. Hey Conor,
    I'm genuinely very impressed with the amount of progress you have made on your game so far and how much your game is starting to look like a fully fledged game rather than a prototype.

    Have you considered using moving platforms along the way? Like especially during the more difficult sections to add an even greater level of platforming challenge for the player? I have actually added a moving platform to my ow game and it was a lot easier than I expected and the platform was still a solid asset.

    One suggestion I might have, especially if you are adding split paths to your game would possibly be making one of the paths slightly more or less difficult than the other one and colour coding paths to indicate this to the player. This would give the game more accessibility for players of different skill sets and would also give the game a replayability especially once players gain more experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Conor, Thank you for putting in tutorials for the speed and jump boosts, I was trying to fix my game and implement jumping pads but nothing worked for me! Your game is really well done and it's practically nearly finished. Will you be using a first person character so when you look down you'll be able to see the hands? Or is it just a camera view? Will you also be putting in platforms that move in different directions? I really like you game so far, I think there's nothing else to add you put in a lot of effort into it! - Anna Zurawska

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment